Wednesday, June 15, 2011

E-Book Success Story -- Diary of a Mad Fat Girl

Are you questioning whether you can really achieve success if you do choose to self-publish your novel?

Let me tell you about one success story, which comes in the form of an author who was a total unknown until recently, who goes by the name of Stephanie McAfee, who last year decided to make her novel, Diary of a Mad Fat Girl, available digitally.

Says McAfee:

"It's a crazy story. I listed [Diary of a Mad Fat Girl] on Amazon's KDP website on Christmas day of last year and put in on Barnes & Noble's PubIt! on February 4, 2011. It made the New York Times Bestsellers list in the fiction/ebook category on March 27, 2011 and managed to hang in there for ten weeks. It also made the combined print/ebook list the week of its debut and was on there for 3 weeks. Needless to say, when the book appeared on the Times list, that's when I started getting emails from agents and publishers. I signed on with LJK Literary Management at the end of March and had a three-book deal with Penguin by the end of April. See what I mean? Crazy.

"It's been a whirlwind experience (to say the least) and the shock has yet to wear off. I am a high-school teacher from Mississippi, who quit a great job when my husband joined the Army and couldn't find another one when we relocated to Colorado. In March of last year, I decided to give the 'book writing dream' one last shot and wrote Diary of a Mad Fat Girl around my son's nap schedule. I thought I'd sell about six books and have to buy three of those myself. The entire experience has been humbling, scary, stressful, unbelievable, and incredibly exciting all at the same time."

Learn more about Stephanie McAfee here.

1 comment: