Friday, May 6, 2011

Meet Lili Tufel, Indie Writer, Author of "Sand"

Meet Lili Tufel, another self-published author, who is enjoying much success with her novel, Sand. Shares Tufel:

"I am very excited to have recently received a five-star review for Sand from someone I've never met. She wrote the review I've longed to hear, 'I stayed up till 4am to finish the story.' I want Sand to keep people up late because they can’t put it down!"

Sand is a fast-paced, action-adventure novel. The description on Amazon says this:

"Dallas is a Special Forces Lieutenant, who is driven by his promise to protect the Colonel’s daughter, Abby, from an opium drug lord. He is torn between duty and his love for her when he discovers that the drug lord's charming, murderous son has befriended Abby, and there's no limit to how far he is willing to go to protect her."

“Kidnapping and hostage rescue are subjects I write a lot about,” admits Tufel. “I have always been fascinated or should I say traumatized by it because of where I come from. I was born in Medellin, Colombia and although I grew up in the United States, I heard stories while growing up about people my family knew that were being kidnapped by the Guerillas. All of those stories fed my overactive imagination.”

Tufel did extensive research before writing Sand. “I spent a lot of time reading military blogs. I interviewed and spoke to several military folks because I wanted the story to be realistic. In Sand, I mention very real topics, such as TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury), which has been the signature wound of the war in Afghanistan.”

Tufel decided to take the self-publishing route for Sand because of the subject matter. “My novel is fictional, but it deals with realistic current events such as the war in Afghanistan. Because I write contemporary fiction I can’t wait for my book to be published two years from now when the story may not be as ‘fresh.’ ”

Social media has been vital to the promotion of Tufel’s book. She attributes her career as a real-estate agent, as partly the reason for her success.

"[With real estate] I strive to build relationships with my clients, who trust me and refer me to others. This is the same idea with social media. I strive to build relationships with my Twitter followers and my Facebook friends. If someone has taken the time to follow me on Twitter and read my blog, I make it a point to follow back and read their blog. My advice to writers is to take advantage of social networking but not just for self promotion but care enough to follow people back on Twitter and blogs, read and comment and build relationships."

So what's the future of e-publishing, in Tufel's opinion?

"I believe that e-publishing is taking a parallel road to the music industry, and it’s about time! In the music industry you no longer need a large record label behind you to make it. In my opinion, if you want to know the future of e-publishing look at where the music industry is today.

You can find Sand here:
Smashwords

Amazon

Amazon UK

Apple iTunes

Barnes & Noble

Facebook Fan Page

4 comments:

  1. Now that was brilliant. And for the record, there's no such thing as an over active imagination. I applaud you for your courage to self publish and am looking forward to reading Sand! As a faithful follower of yours on twitter I believe you're absolutely right. Its not simply a means to get fans but a chance to make real friends who will back you up and tell the world how wonderful you and your work truly is. I look forward to your next tweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! I'm so happy that we've found each other on twitter. Sand seems like a wonderful book & I look forward to reading it soon! Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jamie. I'm so happy you like the blog. I love the name of your blog: Plot Bunnies. Awesome. I would love you to write more about the query process and how to get edited on your blog. I will definitely reblog you, as I think my readers could benefit from that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kara. Looks like you're a fan of Lili's. Glad you like the interview!

    ReplyDelete